Thursday, April 11, 2013

Banana Cake with Espresso Cream Cheese Frosting




When I first started blogging (in the pre-pinterest days),
I was addicted to Food Blogs.
Daily, I would stalk my favorite sites
to see what they were up to and what they were creating.
If I found something that looked or sounded good,
I would copy that recipe into a file
and save it on my computer for future meal inspiration.
This went on for a very VERY long time.
So long that I now literally have hundreds of recipes
just sitting on my computer waiting to be tried.
I guess you could have called me a recipe hoarder.
I had great intentions to try all of the recipes I saved, 
but year after year they remained untouched... until Monday.
This past Monday I was determined to get on my computer,
search my "Foods To Try" file and actually MAKE SOMETHING!
And boy am I happy I did, because this Banana Espresso Cake recipe it delicious.
Plus, there is not that much sugar in it (if you ignore the frosting).
Win Win in my opinion.



Banana Cake

2 eggs
4 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1 very ripe banana
5 tbsp coconut oil (melted so that it's liquid)
1/2 cup flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp espresso (or strong coffee)
1 block of cream cheese
3 tsp espresso (or strong coffee)
4 tbsp honey
pinch of salt
1 cup powder sugar (this is an apx.)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9' round baking dish and set aside.

2. Beat together the eggs, brown sugar, and banana for about 10 minutes, until light and fluffy.

3. Add the oil and beat another 2 minutes.

4. Sift the flour and baking powder into the batter then fold in using a spatula. Add the espresso gradually as you fold in the dry ingredients.

5. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for about 15-17 minutes.

6. Turn onto a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.

7. To make the frosting, whip the cream cheese, espresso, honey, salt and powder sugar together until light and fluffy. A note about the powder sugar... I always add about 2 tbsp at a time when whipping the powder sugar into the frosting mix, stopping to taste the sweetness in between. That way I know when it is just sweet enough to my taste buds. Also, if you wanted to keep the sugar content down in this dessert, you could always just add more honey and less powder sugar.

8. Frost the cake and devour!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! this looks amazing.. and Espresso Cream Cheese frosting has now stolen my heart ;)