1 pound (3 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour 1 tbsp. coarse salt 4 sticks softened unsalted butter, plus more for pans
2 cups packed dark-brown sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
9 large, room-temperature eggs
2 cups toasted, chopped walnuts
1 cup powder sugar 2 tbsp heavy cream 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter Bunt cake pan.
2. Combine flour and 1 tablespoon salt in a bowl.
3. Cream 4 sticks butter and dark-brown sugar with a mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy, for 8 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl. Reduce speed to medium, and add vanilla extract.
4. Lightly beat eggs, and add to mixer bowl in 4 additions, mixing thoroughly after each and scraping down sides. Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture in 4 additions, mixing until just incorporated. Fold walnuts into finished batter.
5. Divide batter between pans. Tap on counter to distribute; smooth tops.
6. Bake until a tester inserted into center of each cake comes out clean, about 65 minutes. Let cool in pans on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire rack.
7. For icing, combine the powder sugar, cream and vanilla on the stove top on medium heat and stir until drizzly. Drizzle over the top.
8. Serve cake with icing and whipped cream.
1 pound (3 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon coarse salt
4 sticks softened unsalted butter, plus more for pans
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves Salt Freshly ground black pepper 12 (1/2-inch) thick slices French baguette 12 ounces Gorgonzola, at room temperature 2 red bell peppers, grilled, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced 2 yellow bell peppers, grilled, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
1. Heat the grill to high.
2. Combine the oil, basil and salt and pepper in a blender and blend for 5 minutes. Strain the oil into a bowl.
3. Butter the bread on one side. Grill the bread on both sides until lightly golden brown.
4. Remove from the grill and spread some of the blue cheese on 1 side of each slice, top with some of the peppers and drizzle with a little of the basil oil.