(Chipotle Sauce adapted from Rachael Ray)
1 cup corn
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and finely chopped, plus 1/2 tablespoon sauce
1/4 tsp lime zest
One 15-ounce can spicy vegetarian refried beans
1/8 cup of half and half (or you can use regular milk as well)
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast
1 tbsp prepared salsa
Chopped romaine lettuce, for topping
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped, for topping
1 small red onion, finely chopped, for topping
Chopped cilantro (optional), for topping
Eight 4- to 6-inch flour or corn tortillas
1. In a small saucepan, bring the cream, chipotle, adobo sauce and lime peel to a boil over medium heat. Lower the heat to a low, slow boil and cook until reduced slightly.
2. In another small saucepan, combine the refried beans and heavy cream on medium-low heat to heat through.
3. In a saute pan, reheat the shredded chicken and add 1 tbsp salsa for flavor.
4. While those are cooking, fry up your corn tortillas till crispy.
5. Serve each tostada layered with refried beans, chicken, corn, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and chipotle cream sauce.