Thursday, March 7, 2013

Raspberry Lemon Pound Cake


So, I finally got around to posting a recipe!
It's not like I haven't been cooking.
It's just that sometimes by the time I'm finished making something,
I have exerted all my energy and lack any motivation whatsoever
to make my dish look cute, take a picture, and then blog about it.
But I had the energy with this one!

I love pound cake.
In fact, I'm eating a piece right now as I type this.
I probably love it so much because it doesn't taste like a sugar overload.
Plus, when you have extra eggs just sitting in you fridge, it's a great way to use them.

Here's my recipe for Raspberry Lemon Pound Cake.


Raspberry Lemon Pound Cake 
Adapted from Martha Stewart
 
1 pound (3 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon coarse salt
4 sticks softened unsalted butter, plus more for pans
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
zest from 1 lemon
9 large, room-temperature eggs
1 cup fresh raspberries (or thawed frozen)
 
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
 
2. Combine all-purpose flour and salt in a bowl.
 
3. Cream butter and sugar with a mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy (very important for you to mix it till it's very fluffy), for 8 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl. Reduce speed to medium, and add vanilla extract.

4. Lightly beat eggs, and add to mixer bowl in 4 additions, mixing thoroughly after each and scraping down sides. 
 
5. Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture in 4 additions, mixing until just incorporated. 
 
6. Add the lemon zest and beat a few more seconds. Then fold in the raspberries.
 
7. Divide batter between pans. Tap on counter to distribute; smooth tops.
 
8. Bake until a tester inserted into center of each cake comes out clean, about 65 minutes. Let cool in pans on a wire rack for 30 minutes before icing.

Lemon Icing:

2 cups powder sugar
juice from 1 lemon
pinch of salt

1. Mix icing ingredients together until smooth. Add more sugar if it needs thickening.
 

No comments: