Friday, February 6, 2009

Chicken Gardeno

When I was growing up my family would always go to The Olive Garden for lunch after church on Sundays.

My favorite dish to order was the Chicken Gardeno Pasta.

Over the past few years I have been craving that dish so much, yet it is no longer provide at that restaurant. So I made it my goal to try and recreate that dish.

Tonight was the closest I have ever gotten to achieving that. And I am very proud of myself.

My mom and I sat down with some Cabernet Sauvignon, the movie "Elizabeth, the Golden Years", and my delicious pasta creation.










Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 head roasted garlic
  • 1 chicken breast, diced
  • 2 shallots, sliced
  • 1 red bell pepper, cleaned, seeded and cut into strips (6 ounces)
  • 1 large zucchini sliced
  • 1 carrot sliced
  • 1 cup diced (stewed) tomatoes
  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, made into roux with 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 pound pasta
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1 tbsp dried basil leaves

Directions

Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Cook diced chicken until done. Set aside.

In the same pan, cook onions over medium heat until soft, about 1 minute. Add peppers and carrots to cook until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes.

Stir in pre-made roux and cook for 1 minute more. Add chicken stock, milk, salt and pepper and bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook until liquid has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir chicken, zucchini, diced tomatoes, and basil. Let simmer until zucchini is done.

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Toss pasta with vegetables and sauce.

Serve garnished with Parmesan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jen...this sounds so good I am going to try it today! I love reading the recipes you post! Will be praying for you as you travel today! Look forward to a visit with you!:)