Monday, August 25, 2008

Peach-Blueberry

I have noticed a trend of people blogging recipes. So I thought I would contribute as well. I happen to be pretty proud of my recipe too. I made it for Micah's 25th birthday and got rave reviews.
I made a peach-blueberry pie and before I go into the details on the recipe I should mention that this was only my second time ever in trying to make a fruit pie. The first time I tried making a pie was when I was in England for Christmas about 5 years ago. I was designated the "desert girl" and had to make everything from apple pies to mincemeat pies (which actually did not have meat in it....to my unknown knowledge). Anyways, that first experience making pies was not really disastrous but more just very disappointing. The pies were either way to sugary or just plain runny, which could be disastrous depending on how picky you are about pies. Anyways, I made an effort to do it right this time, especially since I was baking for a dozen people.
The pie turned out great! So that should show you how fool proof this pie is. So enjoy baking this pie before the summer is over.


Peach-Blueberry Pie

Filling:
3 pounds mixed yellow and white peaches, peeled, pitted, sliced about 1/2-inch thick
1/3 to 1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/3 to 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground fresh nutmeg
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces


For the filling:

Combine peaches, sugars, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, peach eau de vie and cornstarch or tapioca in a large bowl and mix until well combined. Toss the blackberries with the cassis. Let sit for 10 minutes, then use a slotted spoon to spoon the berries into the peaches, and toss.

Spoon the fruit into the crust using a slotted spoon. Add some of the juices that have accumulated in the bowl. Scatter the butter over the top.

Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake on the bottom rack of the oven until the crust is golden and juices bubble thickly through slits, covering edges of crust with foil if browning too quickly, about 1 hour 20 to 30 minutes, until the bottom crust is brown and the juices bubbling. Cool pie 3 hours.

**Just use your own favorite flaky pie crust recipe!

No comments: